The refrigerator is one of the most important household appliances. It’s also an inexpensive purchase. That’s why you want it to last as long as possible. When it breaks down you hire a reputed technician to repair it by searching for “refrigerator repair near me”. However, if your refrigerator is beyond repair and you’re in the market for a new refrigerator then look out for these refrigerator features in 2022:
- Energy Efficiency – Irrespective of the type of refrigerator you want, this is the primary feature you need. Refrigerators last for a long time and with each year energy efficiency improves. That’s why you want a model that has a high energy star rating so that it keeps saving money for many years. The difference between new and old refrigerators is so intense that a decade-old model would use twice the amount of energy and make you pay up hundreds of dollars every year on utility bills.
Make sure that the refrigerator has superb sealing technology that prevents cold air from escaping. You can also look at the Energy Star rating and label on the refrigerator. The higher the rating the better. The label also lists down the predicted units of electricity the refrigerator would use. This allows you to quickly calculate how much you’ll pay for energy bills by factoring in the utility cost in your area.
Energy-efficient refrigerators don’t just save you money, but also limit emissions and help you keep a lid on your carbon footprint. It’s very important if you get your power from a plant that burns fossil fuel.
- Automated Climate Control – Spoiled fruit and rotten veggies are wasted money, wasted food, and an additional drive to the supermarket. You can put an end to this nightmare with a fridge that has automatic climate control. Modern refrigerators have chips and sensors that can detect the temperature and humidity level inside the refrigerator and balance it accordingly. This helps you put food inside the refrigerator without any worries. Let your fridge do the math and nail the timing.
Some refrigerators even have specialized climate control in their crisper drawers. These drawers can adjust temperature and humidity and also suck out the excess methane produced by veggies to slow down the ripening. This keeps your veggies fresh for the longest time and lets you cook healthier and tastier meals.
- Door Configuration – Door configuration and size of the refrigerator are very important and usually dictated by the size of your family and your lifestyle. For instance, if budget isn’t an issue, you have a big family, and plenty of space in the kitchen, you may consider the French Door fridge. These refrigerators have one or two freezer drawers at the bottom and the upper section is very wide with two side-by-side doors.
They are more energy-efficient since the whole refrigerator doesn’t lose some of the cold air when you take something out of the fridge. On the other hand, if you live alone in the city and like to shop fresh and cook your food every day, you won’t need a large refrigerator. A standard-sized single door top-freezer or bottom-freezer refrigerator should suffice.
- Wi-Fi and smart features – You won’t want to miss out on a smart refrigerator. They may seem like a gimmick at the moment. However, they can become very powerful in the future. The best thing about smart refrigerators is that they become a piece of highly engineered tech that can be upgraded through a software update.
With Wi-Fi connectivity, powerful processing chips, internal cameras, and other such goodies such as smart features already have amazing features like inventory listing and stock alert. It scans all the items in the refrigerator and stays connected to your home’s Wi-Fi network.
When you go to the supermarket for grocery shopping it can alert you about the things inside the refrigerator that may be close to their expiration dates and advise you on what you need to shop for. In the future, you may get even more amazing AI-powered features that completely change the way you use your refrigerator.
- Organization Drawers – Look out for organization drawers and how you can configure them inside the refrigerator. Often food is shoved at the back of the refrigerator and that’s why they stay out of mind and out of sight. In the end, it rots away, and you end up throwing it in the garbage. This wouldn’t happen if you have carefully designed organizational drawers inside the refrigerator.
Focus on modularity. That means plenty of dividers, collapsible drawers, and adjustable shelves. This lets you rearrange the space inside the fridge according to your needs and your stock. You get to keep what’s at the front and arrange easily perishable items so that they can be consumed in time.
- Edge-to-edge shelves – You may be too fond of wines, beers, juices, and other types of drinks. If that’s the case, you may want to look out for edge-to-edge shelves. Edge-to-edge shelves are more secure for your drinks and don’t allow the drinks to fall even if you open the door with more force than necessary. They can also be adjusted up or down to fit tall or short drinks without wasting any space.
- Specialty ice dispensers – Regular water and ice dispensers have become a thing of the past. Now specialty ice dispensers are all the rage. You don’t want the regular small ice cubes and crushed ice coming out of the dispenser when you can have spheres of ice and polygonal ice that are perfect for cocktail nights. It lets you entertain your guests with style.
While fancy features like special door configurations and specialty ice dispensers are important, make sure that the necessary features like high energy efficiency and automatic climate control are prioritized. On the other hand, if you can still get a few more years out of your refrigerator then get it serviced or repaired by searching for “refrigerator repair near me”.